Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 189: Raspberry Baked Chicken

Good Morning everyone!  Last night I got to teach a dutch oven class for a local women's group.  It was a lot of fun!  The ladies that were there came expecting to be confused by how to figure the heat, but went home saying "I can do this!".  The ring method is so easy that even people who have never used a dutch oven can understand it.  I love it when people realize how not hard DO cooking is.  They also left after having a yummy meal.  We did Root Beer Chicken and Kielbasa, Tomato Upside Down Cornbread, and Smores Brownies.  So many people think all you can do in a DO is potatoes.  It makes me laugh! 

My family got to have Raspberry Chicken for dinner.  I had some fresh berries from the garden, and some frozen blackberries that I threw in just for fun.  I found this recipe in a church cook book.

Raspberry Baked Chicken
12" dutch oven

6-8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lb. fresh or frozen berries
1 cup sugar
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 cup water

Place the chicken in an oiled dutch oven.  Stir together the berries, sugar, cornstarch and water until sugar is dissolved.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour using 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

The Finished Product


Its to bad it doesn't taste as good as it looks.

The Review

I was really disappointed with this chicken.  Even with fresh berries from my garden it still didn't taste very good.  The whole dish just didn't have very good flavor.  None of my kids finished theirs and even my hubby just shrugged his shoulders when I asked him how he liked it.  I won't be making this one again.  I can think of a ton of better things to do with fresh raspberries.  Grade D+.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! This idea really caught my eye, and so I played with it some. I'm not sure that my result was any better than yours, but it was good enough to make me want to try again sometime! :-)

    http://www.marksblackpot.com/2010/07/dutch-oven-berried-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I tried it again, and with great results!

    Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails