Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 205: No Fail Breadsticks

I found this recipe at Meals 4 Moms.  The blog author lives near me, and everyone I know has been raving about these bread sticks.  You do have to plan ahead since these have to rise twice, but the rise times are quite short.  I did them last minute and they worked fine. 

No Fail Bread Sticks
14" dutch oven

2 cups hot water
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. regular yeast
5 cups flour

Topping:

3 tbsp. melted butter
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tsp. Italian seasoning (opt.)

 Place hot tap water in a mixing bowl and add sugar, stir to dissolve sugar then lightly sprinkle yeast over top. Let it sit for 10 minutes. Yeast should develop and become foamy.

Combine salt and add flour 1 cup at a time. Reserve 1/2 cup to roll out with. Dough will be very sticky. (sticky dough means lighter and fluffier bread sticks)

Let dough double in size. (about 15 mins)

Melt butter and coat bottom of a cookie sheet.

Dust counter top with flour, roll out dough to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut 1 inch strips with pizza cutter. Twist and place in cookie sheet.

Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and seasoning over top. Let rise for about 20 mins. Bake 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve with marinara sauce.
 
The Finished Product
 
  My camera and computer are not liking each other right now.  I'll add the pic as soon as I can!
 
The Review

I really liked these.  They were buttery and delish!  My problem was with the dough.  If you follow the directions exactly, the dough is ridiculously sticky.  It's so bad that you can't handle it at all, so I added enough extra flour that it was still sticky but could be handled.  In this recipe's defense, I was in a hurry and very impatient and I could have been the problem with the dough.  So I'll try these again and grade them later.

1 comment:

  1. This will be perfect for my next family party. We will be cooking in the canyon.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails