Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 12: Honey Glazed Carrots

Wow! This post is late today--sorry everyone! We finally sold my hubby's snowmobile and we had to lovingly deliver it to it's new home. I hope it is very happy there. It is a good day and a day for mourning. Good in that now we can fix the transmission on his truck and bad in that winter goes by REALLY slow when you don't have something fun to do. But at least we are "over the hump" as far as winter is concerned. In my neck of the woods we have entered the time when the average daytime temperatures finally start going up. Bring on spring! And speaking of spring...today features my favorite spring veggie cooked dutch oven style. This recipe comes from "101 Things to do With a Dutch Oven" by Vernon Winterton.

Honey-Glazed Carrots
10" dutch oven
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 lb. baby carrots
1/2 cup honey
2 Tbs. brown sugar
Place butter in warm dutch oven and melt. Add carrots to melted butter, then pour the honey over the top and sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover and bake 30 minutes, or until tender, at 325 degrees using 8 coals on the bottom and 10 on top.
The Finished Product

What I learned
This one was really easy. I added a couple of coals to the top because it was so cold outside and mine took about 45 minutes. Other than that, it went off without a hitch!
The Review
Carrots are one of my favorite spring veggies, and there are very few ways that I don't like them. This recipe, however, was not my favorite. It had okay flavor, but it was really missing something and I couldn't quite figure out what. It was easy enough to do, but I probably won't make this one again unless I can figure out what it needs. This recipe gets a C.

1 comment:

  1. Toni, I had the best recipe for Honey Grazed Carrots, and very body loved them, and they where a hit at Thanksgiving and get togethers,when I do dutch oven,and everybody wanted the recipe which I gladly shared. Well I gave out all my printed recipes, and then my computer crashed. And I have not being able to find it again. And everybody I gave the recipe to, has lost their too.
    So I go by memory until I find the actually recipe we love. Here is what I use.
    Honey-Mustard Glazed Carrots
    2-3 lbs of baby carrots
    1/2 stick of butter
    2 T. of brown sugar
    1 T. of Spicy brown Sugar Dijon mustard
    1 T. liquid Hickory Smoke
    1 T. of honey
    1/2 t. of cinniammon
    1/4 t. of nutmeg
    chopped fresh parsley 1-2 T.
    I get the oven hot enough to melt the butter, and then add all the dry ingredients, then I add the liquid smoke, honey and mustard.Stiring fast not to burn the indredients. Then I add the carrots, stirring them to coat all of the carrots and let them simmer for 30 minutes or so. Then when I am ready to serve them I add the parsley, and stir it a cook for a couple of minutes. I usually just kinda dump in my ingredients, instead of measuring, and adjust according to taste.So you might have to tweet it one way or the other.Keep those coals hot, and keep cooking.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails