Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 13: Mountain Man Breakfast

Last night was a busy one! My 4 oldest kids all had activities with our church's youth group. I spent most of the evening running them around. Thank heaven for an easy dutch oven meal! This one comes from Mark's Black Pot. It is called Mountain Man Breakfast (in our case it was mountain man "brinner"). I love breakfast foods, and this one was hot, hearty and really hit the spot.
Mountain Man Breakfast
12" Dutch oven
sausage, ham, or bacon
potatoes, either peeled and sliced or diced or hash browns
onions, green peppers or what ever veggies you like
8 eggs, beaten with a little milk
salt and pepper
shredded cheese
Using 15-20 coals brown the sausage with the veggies. I drained off most of the grease. Then layer the potatoes and meat and veggies. Season with what ever you like. I used salt, pepper and rosemary. Pour the eggs over the meat and potatoes, they will soak through everything. Cook with 8-10 coals on the bottom and 16-18 on top for 30-45 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with cheese. Replace the lid and let cheese melt. We served this with salsa, Tabasco or ketchup.
The Finished Product
Please forgive my dismal picture taking skills!

What I Learned

I learned that if you overcook eggs in your dutch oven they are terrible to get out. I didn't watch them closely enough toward the end, and the very bottom of the dish burned just a little. I also learned that boiling out your dutch oven is the perfect way to remove burned on eggs.

The Review

This is a really good recipe. It has great flavor. I used sausage, but next time I will use ham or bacon. It is all personal preference with the meat. It was quick and easy to put together (especially if you use frozen hash browns), and even with it being just a little too done on the bottom it was still great. The family loved it and there weren't any leftovers. This one gets an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails