Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 2: Ham and Cheese Potato Casserole

This was a great recipe. It comes from one of my favorite blogs, http://www.realmomkitchen.com/. Not only was it hot and comforting on a windy winter night, but cooking it in a dutch oven, it smelled like camping feels. While it was cooking, I felt like I should be up in the mountains in the cool night air, listening to the campfire crackle and pop and watching it shoot sparks in the air. This recipe would be a great one to try on a camp out. It is simple, which is a must when you are cooking in the outdoors, and has great flavor. So here it is!

Ham and Cheese Potato Casserole
10" dutch oven

1 can condensed cream of celery soup
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 28 oz. pkg O'Brien hash browns, thawed
8 oz. velveeta cheese, cubed
1 1/4 cup cubed fully cooked ham

In a large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, water and pepper. Stir in the potatoes, cheese and ham. Transfer to a dutch oven and cook with 8 coals on the bottom and 12 coals on top for 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. 6 servings



What I learned

When it is windy outside like it was today, it takes longer to cook. The wind takes the heat away from the dutch oven. I had to add a few more coals to the top and bottom to keep the heat where it needed to be.

The review

This was a great dish. It was cheesy, creamy and yummy. Even my picky 15 year old loved it. This is one I will probably make again, and I will for sure take it camping this summer. Mine turned out a little too runny so next time I will leave out the water and I think it will be perfect.

2 comments:

  1. I love my dos but not able to cook outside.. can these recipes be adapted to indoor use of dos in the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took note of to much liquid. Instead of the water.I used only one cup of ham and two tbsp of butter.Still a great dish.Will use it camping also.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails