Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 27: Quick Chili

One of the things that is a challenge with this little DO project is what to do on busy days. I had a million things to do and I got home late and still had to worry about what to cook. I found the perfect busy day and camping chili. It is almost all canned goods that you just dump in. I had dinner ready in about an hour--start to finish.

Quick Chili
12" dutch oven
1 12 oz. can kidney beans
1 12 oz. can pinto beans
1 12 oz. can black beans
2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 lb. hamburger
1/4 cup diced onion
garlic salt to taste
1 12 oz. can green beans
1 pkg. chili seasoning mix
1 cup diced beef stick
1/4 cup ketchup
Drain and rinse the beans. In your DO, brown the ground beef, onions and garlic salt. I used about 25 coals on the bottom. Drain any grease. Mix the remaining ingredients in with the ground beef and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
The Finished Product
What I Learned
I learned that there is such a thing as a quick DO dinner. I got everything prepared while the coals were starting, and this came together really quickly.
The Review
This was really good, especially when you consider how short a time it cooks. It will be even better tomorrow when the sausage flavor has time to soak into everything. I added some frozen corn, and you could add any veggies you wanted to make this a really hearty soup. This would be an easy camping meal. This recipe gets a B+ for ease and taste.

1 comment:

  1. Thats about the best reason I can think of to have canned stuff in the pantry :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails