Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 8: Dutch Oven Dump Cobbler

Oh, my goodness! We are sooo in need of a leftover night at our house! I don't think I could fit one more thing in the fridge. So today we made the classic D.O. treat--dump cobbler. I used to work at the local farm supply store (we live in a pretty rural area) and during spring the store would get VERY busy. There was barely time to take a breath, so someone started the tradition of making D.O. cobbler out on the loading dock. We would each take turns "sneaking" out to relax for just a few minutes and get a sugar rush to get us through the rest of the day. It was a lot of fun.

Dutch Oven Dump Cobbler
12" dutch oven

1 stick butter or margarine
1 large can fruit or pie filling (I used raspberry)
1 chocolate cake mix
1 can cola (no diet)

Preheat the D.O. and the lid. Melt the butter and add the fruit. Sprinkle the cake mix over the top then pour the cola over the cake mix. Cook 45 minutes with 10 bottom coals and 14 top coals. Other pie filling combinations could be peach, white cake and sprite or apples, spice cake and root beer. Any combination will work.
The Finished Product


What I Learned

I am getting closer to getting the heat right. When I hold my hand over the oven, I can tell when it is too cool. Having my ovens get too hot hasn't been a problem yet. I really want to start baking breads and such, but I better not put the cart before the horse. The recipes I have done so far have been pretty forgiving and have allowed me to learn without any real disasters (yet). Besides the heat, the other problem I am having is judging how many coals I will need. I start more than I need and keep some to start the new coals, but if I plan for a recipe to take 45 minutes and it takes longer I run out of coals. (Did that make sense?) Trial, error and patience are becoming my best buds!

The Review

This one is really good and will satisfy your sweet tooth. I had 2 cans of pie filling, and my kids begged me to use both, so I did. As a result, the fruit to cake ratio was off. If you want to use 2 cans of filling be sure you also use 2 cake mixes and 2 cans of coke. But other than that, the cake was moist and fudgy, just the way we like it. Definitely a success!

1 comment:

  1. Cobbler is one of my favorite dishes to cook in a Dutch Oven. Some great ones are at http://www.sightseeingreview.com/castirondutchoven.php

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails