Friday, January 22, 2010

Day 22: Pumpkin Crumble

What a yucky day to try and cook outside. It was wet, windy and snowy! A storm is in the forecast so I decided to do a dessert this afternoon, before it hit. It took me 20 minutes and just a little bit of gasoline to get the coals lit. But the dish cooked really well. I don't know about you, but I can never get enough pumpkin. I don't know what it is about pumpkin that I love! This would be a good camping recipe because the topping can be made ahead and kept in the cooler in a Ziploc bag, and the pumpkin mixture is really easy too! This recipe is adapted from "101 Things to do With a Dutch Oven".

Pumpkin Crumble
12" dutch oven
Cake:
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. allspice
1 1/2 cups pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs
Topping:
1/2 cup + 3 Tbs. butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 cup rolled oats
In a bowl, mix all the cake ingredients together until smooth. Pour batter into an oiled dutch oven.
In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, flour, baking powder , salt and oats until crumbly. Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 325 degrees using 8 coals on the bottom and 16 on top. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. After 30 minutes of baking, remove 3 coals from the bottom and move them to the top so the bottom of the cake doesn't burn.
The Finished Product


What I Learned

It is really hard to light the coals when it is wet and windy. I am going to invest in some lighter fluid for just those kind of days.
The Review
This was pretty good. The topping didn't seem very hearty, so I added the rolled oats and some extra butter. The oats gave it a nice chewy texture. I'm sure it would have been good without them, so you decide. I also was out of some of the spices so I only use the nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger and it still had great flavor. It would have been even better with the allspice and cloves. My kids were thrilled to have such a great after school snack and they ate the whole thing and were asking for more. Graded: B+

5 comments:

  1. Sounds great, and without all the fuss of mixing and rolling out a pie crust. I might try this for T'giving next year.

    Also, I always use some kind of fluid for lighting the coals. It's the only way I've found to have any consistent success. Call me evil, but it works...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Toni, are you by chance using a Chimney to light your coals? This is the best way I have found to start charcoals for home cooking. You can make one out of an old coffee can or even a #10 can if you would like. They are pretty in expensive to purchase however.

    Cooking ourdoors in the bad weather certainly has its challenges. A good wind break is also a great ally. Just like the chimney, you can purchase one OR make your own. A piece of scrap sheet metal, some old license plates wired together or even a smoker BBQ. I have even stacked up a few cinder blocks in a v-shape to block the wind while still alowing for good ventelation.

    Keep up the good work. I really am enjoying your posts and cooking along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning
    I have a chimney and I set it on my propane camp stove it lights it pretty good. Some of your recipes sound wonderful. I at this moment am in the process of making cinnamon knots. Keep up the good work, I enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I love comments! I do have a chimney and I have been lighting it with newspaper. Usually it goes pretty good (I am a closet Pyromanic and make great fires!) I like the idea of using the propane camp stove to light it, and Mark--I invested it a large bottle of charcoal lighter fluid so I can be just as evil as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fire starter that works even if it is wet. Take Vaseline and some cotton balls. Impregnate the cotton ball with the Vaseline. When you light make sure you gently pull cotton ball apart so some fibers can be easily lit. You can store your fire starter in an old 35mm film canister. I have started my chimney using this fire starter couple of times.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails