Sunday, January 24, 2010

Day 24: Chicken Tikka Masala

One of my goals for this dutch oven experiment was that I not change the kinds of food I cook, only the way I cook them. And so far I have mostly succeeded. The only thing that is different about my cooking now is that I am branching out with what I cook. Tonight's dish is Indian. I have never had any Indian food, so I had no idea what to expect, except that it would be spicy.
This recipe got rave reviews at My Kitchen Cafe, so I thought I would try it out. Her recipes never disappoint.
Chicken Tikka Masala
10" dutch oven
1 cup plain yogurt
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. cayenne pepper (I only used one)
2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger (I didn't have any)
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Combine all the ingredients in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate 1 hour. Fry the chicken in your D.O. using 18-20 coals until cooked through. When chicken is cooked, remove from the D.O., drain any liquid and make the sauce.
Sauce:
1 Tbs. butter
1 clove minced garlic
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Melt the butter in your D.O. I used about 15 coals on the bottom. Add the garlic and jalapeno and saute for about 1 minute. Add the spices. Stir in the tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes or until the sauce thickens. I covered the D.O. and added about 7 coals to the top. Then add the chicken and simmer for 10 minutes more. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
The Finished Product


What I learned

I am getting the hang of simmering foods in a dutch oven. I have found it works best if I reverse the normal rule for adding coals. For a 10" oven I would use 14 coals on the bottom and 7 on top. I also learned that I like Indian foods.
The Review
I have never had a mix of flavors quite like this. It was not at all what I expected. The chicken was tender and it was nicely spiced. I cut the cayenne in half and didn't add the jalapeno. It would have been too hot for my kids. The flavor was amazing, and very unusual. The fam ate it up and there aren't any leftovers. It also came together really quickly and easily. If you are like me and have never tried Indian food, this is the place to start. I will definitely make this again. Grade: B+

5 comments:

  1. This looks great! I did some indian food a while back, including a chicken tikka masala. (It looks like your comment box won't allow me to paste in a link. No matter)

    I'm really enjoying following your experiment! I posted a reference to your site in the IDOS forums.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mark! I love having the readers and the comments. I have learned a lot from your site and your experiences. I'll check out the IDOS site for my link. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really good. Are you sure it is grade B+? Another chicken tikka masala recipe for your comparison is at http://www.food-india.com/recipe/R051_R75/R071.htm

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a recipe that I would love - among a dozen others you have posted!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails