Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 11: Chuckwagon Dinner

It is now day 11 and I am still having a great time cooking outdoors. I am learning patience and I love the challenge this brings. I have had a lot of people ask why in the world I would do something like this. No, I did not get the idea from "Julie and Julia". I just really needed a new challenge. With 7 kids I don't have time to go to school, or really even read a book so I decided to challenge myself with something that I have to do everyday anyway. Kind of a "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" thing. Since I have to cook dinner anyway, I might as well learn a new way of doing it. In 4 years (when my baby is in school) I will go to chef's school, but in the meantime, it was time to learn something new. So there you have it. On to the recipe. This one is from "The Beginners Guide to Dutch Oven Cooking".

Chuck Wagon Dinner
10" dutch oven
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 can of kidney beans
1 can whole kernel corn
1 can pinto beans (I used black beans)
3 8 oz. cans tomato sauce
2 cups uncooked macaroni (I used egg noodles)
3 cups water or beef broth (go for the broth)
1 tsp. each of chili powder, oregano and basil
salt and pepper to taste
grated cheddar cheese

Brown the ground beef in the dutch oven with the onion. I used about 25 coals. Stir in the rest of the ingredients, except the cheese. Cover and cook with 8 coals on the bottom and 12 on top for 25-30 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir occasionally, and add more moisture if needed. When done, sprinkle cheese on top and cook until cheese is melted.
The Finished Product


What I Learned

These kinds of dishes are getting easier. Other than making sure I have enough coals to replenish the ones that go out, this one was easy. 

The Review

I am not a huge fan of goulash type dishes, but this was pretty good as far a goulash goes. The dutch oven flavor really came out in this one. I probably wouldn't make this in the kitchen, but it was good in the dutch oven. This gets a B.

1 comment:

  1. I bumped into Julie's blog when I was in Culinary school, it sure lit the fires of this kind of project for me, was excited it was made into a movie. With my attention span of a few months I got into food as a way to keep in a subject but bounce around with cuisines and styles of cooking. I will never run out of things to try or ingredients to play with. DO's are my current obsession with cooking and enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails