Friday, January 22, 2010

Cleaning Your Dutch Oven--Another Method

I have been trying several ways to clean my dutch ovens. I want to find the easiest and most effective way to do it. I have read several D.O. cookbooks and spent a lot of time on the Internet. The last few days I have been using a large scrap of burlap to scrape out my ovens. This actually works pretty well. I was surprised. But it has a definite down side--it leaves little burlap hairs in my ovens that are hard to get out. To be honest, it grosses me out a little bit so I will save this method for the really stuck on stuff.
I have also tried boiling out my ovens. This works well too, but I don't like having to take the extra time to heat more coals and I have been to lazy to get my camp stove out every day. I will save this method for the stuck on stuff as well.
Really, the fastest and easiest way I have tried so far is the plastic scraper and the vinegar/water mixture. If I run across other methods I will review them as well.

2 comments:

  1. Toni,
    As a Dutch oven cook book author of 4 books I have an easy and fast method to clean out your Dutch ovens. email me and I'll be happy to send you the excerpt from my books to use.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. how to clean duch ovens, pjcolvin50@msn.com

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails