Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 271: Turkey Lattice Pie

Yesterday was our last night of soccer--thank heaven!  I love watching my kids play, but it makes my evenings very hectic!  It will be nice to be back on a normal schedule.  So last night I had to make something that was really fast and easy.  And even with something simple we still didn't eat until after 7 pm.  My poor kids were starving!

Turkey Lattice Pie
14" dutch oven

3 tubes refrigerated crescent rolls
4 cups cubed cooked turkey or chicken
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 1/3 cups milk
2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. salt
Dash pepper
1 egg, lightly beaten

Unroll two tubed of crescent roll dough; separated into rectangles.  Press them into the bottom and 1/4 inch up the sides of a dutch oven to form a crust, sealing seams and perforations.  Bake at 350° for 7-10 minutes.  In a bowl, combine the turkey, cheese, broccoli, soup, milk, mustard, onion, salt and pepper; mix well.  Spoon over the crust.  Unroll remaining dough; divide into rectangles and seal perforations.  Cut each rectangle into 5 strips.  Using the strips, make a lattice design on top to the turkey mixture.  Brush with egg.  Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until top crust is golden brown and filling is hot.  Serves 12-16.

The Finished Product


I forgot to brush mine with egg, so it didn't brown as well as it should have.

The Review

This recipe is just okay.  The gravy was really thin, almost soupy.  I would cut the milk down to 3/4-1 cup.  I also wasn't super thrilled with the crescent roll dough.  The flavor of it kind of overpowered everything else.  I would have liked it better with a pie crust.  It also needed some spices, maybe a little thyme.  That being said, it was still good.  It was very easy to make and since I already had some cooked chicken it only took a few minutes to put together.  But since I probably won't make this again, I'm giving this one a C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails