Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 254: Apricot Chicken

A friend gave me this recipe last week.  She never tries anything new in the kitchen, so I was really surprised when she told me how much her family liked it.  I figured I'd better give it a try!

Apricot Chicken
12" dutch oven

6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 cup apricot jam
1 cup Catalina or French salad dressing
2 Tbs. sugar
1 pkg. onion soup mix

Place chicken in your dutch oven.  Mix remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.  Bake at 350° for 1 hour.  Serves 6.

Sorry, I had to leave before this was finished so I couldn't get a picture. I'm lucky I even got to taste it! :)

The Review

This was good.  Its simple, but with such a mix of tangy and sweet.  The onion soup adds a really nice flavor.  My kids ate almost every bite.  They mercifully saved my 1/2 a piece of chicken--the little piggies!  I'll be making this again.  This would also make a good camping meal.  If I had one complaint it would be that the sauce was too thin.  But even thats not a big deal. Grade B+.

3 comments:

  1. Similar to this has been a family favourite throughout Australia since I was a child, many slight variations in that Apricot nectar or a can of apricots are used. Also a dried soup mix which is called French Onion Soup. The dressing is a new ingredient for me. Did you eat it with plain boiled rice as thats the way its served here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did eat it with rice. It was really good. The leftovers were great on a salad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caldweller79
    My two boys ages 8 and 7 are pretty picky eaters. They decide they hate food before they taste it. So I make them have at least one bite but they start gagging before it even touches their lips. Today they did the whole gagging thing, but when it got in their mouths they smiled and raisted their eyebrows and started chewing. They both gave me thumbs up and said it was a recipe I could cook again.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails