Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day 261: Garden Vegetable Focaccia

This is an almost original recipe.  I used my favorite focaccia dough recipe, but the veggies on top are my idea.  So I'm just gonna call it an original.  Sue me!  Ha Ha!  Really, I've been trying to think of things to do with all the produce in my garden, that's how I came up with this bread.  I also wanted something that would be beautiful as well as delicious. 

I love making focaccia because it doesn't have to rise much and if I decide to make it at the last minute it still turns out great!

Garden Vegetable Focaccia
14" dutch oven

3/4 cup plus 3 Tbs. warm water
3 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. nonfat dry milk powder
3 Tbs. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
Olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
Sliced tomatoes (make sure you use a meaty tomato, romas would work well)
Sliced green peppers (I used strips, but rings would be really pretty)
Sliced onions, separated into rings
Dried basil
Dried thyme
Parmesan cheese, shredded

In a bowl, combine the water and yeast. Allow to sit for 5 minutes. add remaining ingredients and knead well. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes. Knead for 1 minute. Roll out into a 14 inch circle (or a 15x10" rectangle if cooking indoors). Put dough in the DO and press it up the sides just a little. Cover and let rise 20-30 minutes. With a wooden spoon handle, make indentations a 1" intervals. Mix the olive oil and garlic together and brush over the dough with a pastry brush.  Arrange the vegetables on top.  Sprinkle with herbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 400° using 2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom for 13-15 minutes or until slightly browned. Serves 8-10.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was delicious if I do say so myself.  The veggies softened up and complimented each other perfectly.  Next time I'll use more peppers and onions though.  I'm actually quite proud of myself for coming up with this one.  I'm not super great at making new recipes yet, I must have been inspired buy the last episode of "Chopped" on the Food Network.  :)  This will be a seasonal staple at our house.  Some of my kids even had it for breakfast this morning.  It was that good!  Grade A.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! Looks like it came out great and good idea for all those extra veggies from the garden.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails