Thursday, September 16, 2010

Day 258: Herbed Meatballs with Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Once again, I'm going to spoil the review by telling you now how amazing this meal was.  I found this at Rookie Cookie, a site I stalk regularly.  I made the meatballs in my DO, but I was running behind so I had to make the potatoes in my kitchen.  And I couldn't in good conscience leave the potato recipe out.
I know I've told you before that I really love meatballs.  I love them even more since I've figured out that it is sooo much easier to bake them than fry them.  This is my new favorite meatball recipe!

Herbed Meatballs with Garlic Mashed Potatoes
12" dutch oven

For the meatballs:

3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs or 3-4 Tbs. dried herbs  (I used parsley and basil)
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp milk
1 lb ground beef
3 Tbsp grated onion
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper

In a large bowl, combine Parmesan, herbs and bread crumbs. Mix well. Stir in eggs and milk. Add ground beef, grated onion, salt and pepper. With your hands, gently mix. Do not over mix.
With a small cookie scoop, scoop the meat mixture and then with your hands, gently roll it into a ball.  Place in your dutch oven and repeat. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.  Use 2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

For the mashed potatoes:

6 russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup half and half
4 Tbsp butter
2 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tsp kosher salt
A few grinds black pepper

Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil until potatoes are fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain potatoes well and pour into a large mixing bowl. While the potatoes are boiling, add half and half, butter and garlic cloves to a small saucepan over medium heat and melt butter, stirring occasionally. Once melted, remove from heat and set aside.

With a potato ricer or hand mixer, mash potatoes until smooth. Discard garlic cloves and pour half and half mixture over the potatoes and add salt and pepper. Using a rubber spatula, fold the potatoes over themselves, combining all ingredients. Be sure to not over mix. Serve potatoes with a few meatballs over the top.

Serves 4.

The Finished Product


The picture just doesn't do this meal justice!

The Review

This is my new favorite meatball recipe, and the potatoes were amazing!  You won't need any gravy on these babys!  I may not be able to eat regular mashed potatoes ever again.  This recipe will definitely be in my top 10 favorites from this year.  Its nice enough for company, but simple enough to make everyday.  Even my 2 year old gobbled these up!  This is a must try recipe!  Grade A+.

3 comments:

  1. Toni,
    Been following your DO blog since January & have appreciated recipes, tips, stories. Am amazed at your persistence.
    Today I learned from my niece's blog that she added a "button" to her blogs that make printing recipes, etc. friendly by going to printerfriendly.com or the user can just paste the url on the page without your having to add to your blogs. Just an idea.
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What an incredible review! I mean, I knew this recipe was good, but I didn't know how well it would be received. I am so glad it was a hit with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making these pots for T-giving dinner. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails