Sunday, September 26, 2010

Day 268: Cheesy Skillet Vegetables and Bacon

I'm so sorry about the late post!  I was running behind and almost didn't make it to church, then we had unexpected company.  I finally have a few minutes to sit down and write this post!  But I can't complain, it was a great day!

Cheesy Skillet Vegetables and Bacon
12" dutch oven

1 lb. bacon
2 (16 oz.) pkgs. frozen broccoli and cauliflower blend
1 lb. baby carrots
1 small onion
2 cloves minced garlic
6-8 potatoes
2 cups grated cheese

Brown bacon in a dutch oven over a full spread of coals.  While the bacon is cooking, cut the onions, carrots and potatoes into bite sized pieces.  When the bacon is done, place on a paper towel to cool.  Brown the onion in the bacon grease.  When brown, add the vegetables and garlic.  Cook until tender, about 20 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  While the vegetables are cooking, crumble the bacon.  When the vegetables are cooked, sprinkle with cheese and bacon.  Place a lid on the dutch oven and allow to sit until cheese is melted.  Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was really good!  Even my picky eaters ate this well.  I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was.  The bacon really put this over the top.  I'll be making this again.  While mine was cooking, it was taking forever, so I put the lid on and put 8 or 10 coals on top to keep in the heat and help it cook faster.  This was really simple and easy.  Grade B+.

2 comments:

  1. wow, I so want to try the dutch oven, I have been reading a lot about them recently, and this recipe looks just divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really was good! I'm glad there was leftovers to eat for lunch!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails