Sunday, October 10, 2010

Day 281: Skillet Chicken with Mexican Rice

I found this recipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe.  I really love skillet meals, especially with how crazy life has been the past few weeks.  These kind of meals are quick, easy and yummy.  I'm so glad I had my dutch oven to cook this in.  There is no way my skillet would have held everything since I had to double the recipe to feed my crew.  Thank heaven for my dutch ovens or I never would have tried this recipe.

Skillet Chicken with Mexican Rice
10" dutch oven

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 1/2 to 2 pounds)
Salt and pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 poblano peppers, cored, seeded, and chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 (10 oz.) cans green enchilada sauce (I recommend mild for those who don’t want much heat)
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves

Gently pat the chicken dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. In your dutch oven, heat the oil over a full spread of coals until it is rippling and hot. Brown the chicken on each side for 1-2 minutes until it is golden but not cooked all the way through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.

In the same dutch oven, add the onion and poblano peppers and cook for 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Add the enchilada sauce, rice and water, stirring to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil and set the chicken breasts in the simmering rice mixture, nestling them in a bit. Cover the skillet, and transfer about 1/4 of the coals to the lid.  Simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed and the chicken is cooked through, stirring every five minutes or so to ensure the rice isn’t sticking to the bottom.

Stir in the cilantro and spinach and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4.

The Finished Product


The Review

I really liked this.  I also really liked that I could do the whole thing in one pot!  My hubby and I and our older kids really liked the peppers and spinach, but my kids weren't super thrilled with it.  I had a hard time getting them to even try it.  I think it has something to do with the fact that it was green.  It takes years to overcome the hatred of all things green!  I would make this really often if my kids would eat it!  Grade B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails