Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 283: Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls

I thought I'd try something really different for dinner last night.  We had Chorizo with Black Beans and Rice for dinner and I wanted an unusual side dish.  I found this at a food blog called My Favorites and I thought it would be fun to try.

Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls
14" dutch oven

2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 (15oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (10oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 (4oz) can diced green chiles, drained
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 package egg roll wrappers (about 24 total)

In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrappers. Mix well to blend. Lay an egg roll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you and place 1/4 cup of the filling in the center. Fold the tip closest to you up over the filling, roll a bit, then take the points pointing outward and fold them in toward the center. Continue rolling into an egg roll shape until a small part of the remaining point is still free. Dip a finger in water and lightly brush on the edges of the free corner. Finish rolling and press to seal closed. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.

Lightly grease your dutch oven with shortening. Place the sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet seam side down and spray the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray (I brushed them with olive oil). Bake at 425° for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking. Use 2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serve warm with salsa.

The Finished Product


The Review

These were awesome!  They were really easy to make too!  I was skeptical about baking them, but they turned out great.  Mine suffered from operator error.  I started baking them at the wrong temperature and then I had to wait for more coals to be ready, so they don't look as good as they should, but they tasted great.  My  kids loved them.  I'll be making these again!  Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails