Sunday, October 24, 2010

Day 294: Baked Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I think garlic mashed potatoes are one of my favorite side dishes.  Add bacon and they would be perfect, but that's beside the point.  I've tried a ton of recipes looking for the perfect one.  Since my hubby won't eat potatoes with gravy I've had to get creative with my favorite mashable veggie.  I found this recipe at Mel's Kitchen Cafe.

Baked Garlic Mashed Potatoes
12" dutch oven

5 pounds russet, red or Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
8 ounces light or regular cream cheese
3-4 green onions, chopped (I didn't have any)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup whipping cream

Place the cut potatoes in a large pot and cover with water by one inch. Add 1 teaspoon salt and boil the potatoes over a full spread of coals for about 10 minutes or until they are tender. 

Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Mash them a few times and add the rest of the ingredients. Mash and mix well to desired consistency.  Dot with 1-2 tablespoons butter. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are lightly browned on top and heated through.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serves 6.

The Finished Product


The Review

These were really good, and they didn't last long at my house.  But I have to say that they aren't my favorite garlic mashed potatoes.  I prefer real garlic over garlic powder any day of the week.  My family would never be able to tell the difference, but I could.  Regardless of how good these are, I probably won't make them again.  You can find my favorite recipe here.  Grade B.

2 comments:

  1. IF you really liked these, why not substitute real garlic for the garlic powder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! I really like the method of the other recipe. I like that the garlic flavor is infused into the milk as it heats, and then the garlic is removed before the milk is added to the potatoes. I also like that I don't have to bake the other one. It saves time, something I don't have a lot of.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails