Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 286: Stuffing Bread

With Thanksgiving sneaking up more quickly than I would like, I've been looking for new recipes to include in this years feast.  I always try to start early because I like everything to be perfect.  I always make homemade stuffing, and I have a really great recipe.  But I wanted to try making a bread that already had all the herbs in it rather than adding them to the butter and broth.  I think it would just help me be more prepared on the big day.  I mean, I usually start cooking at about 3 a.m., so anything that lets me sleep just a little longer will be very welcome!  I adapted this recipe from a Taste of Home cookbook.

Stuffing Bread
12" dutch oven

3 1/2 - 4 cups flour
2 Tbs. yeast
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. rubbed sage
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. dried basil
2 tsp. dried thyme
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 egg

In a mixing bowl, combine the yeast, oil, sugar and warm water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.  In another bowl, mix 2 cups of flour and seasonings.  Add to the yeast mixture and beat just until moistened.  Add the egg and beat until smooth.  Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.  Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.  Punch the dough down and shape into a large round loaf.  Place in a well greased dutch oven.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.  Bake at 375° for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool on a wire rack.  Use in any stuffing recipe!

The Finished Product

I left my camera at my Mom's house yesterday after our family outing, so I'll post the pic later tonight when I get it back!

The Review

This is a really great bread!  I'm really looking forward to making my stuffing with it.  (I'll be sure to share that recipe before Thanksgiving.)  I like that I can make it ahead of time and even freeze it until I need it.  This may simplify my life just a little.  You can also adjust the herbs to suit your tastes.  I think I'll use more rubbed sage and less poultry seasoning next time, but be creative and add what your family likes.  I think this will be a very useful recipe.  This one gets an A!

1 comment:

  1. Toni:
    Give my dressing a try.
    Century Cornbread Dressing, posted Nov 20,2009.
    Also see Stuffing or Dressing, same date.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails