Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 302: Chicken Bacon and Spinach Pizza

Okay, make-up post #2.  I'm going to overload you all today!  I made this last week for dinner and I was really nervous about how it would be received.  When my kids saw me cooking spinach for a pizza they all moaned and groaned.  But thankfully, this year has taught them to at least try the food before they pass judgement.  I found this recipe here.

Chicken, Bacon and Spinach Pizza
12" dutch oven

Pizza Dough

1 packet active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil

Mix yeast with warm water and allow to get foamy – about 15 minutes. In a large bowl, mix flour (about 2 1/2 cups to start), salt, and seasoning, making sure it is well combined. Once yeast is foamy, add to dough and mix with hand. If more flour is needed, add it. Cover and let rise in a cool, dark place for 2 hours.

Sauce and Toppings

3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
8 slices bacon, fried and torn apart
4 cups fresh spinach
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 block (4 oz) cream cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese

Divide pizza dough in half and spread out in 2 well greased 12" dutch ovens. Bake alone for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.

In a 10" dutch oven over a full spread of coals, sautee spinach in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, with one minced garlic clove until it is cooked down. While it is still warm, combine it with cream cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Brush dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread spinach mix on dough. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Add on grilled chicken and bacon. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella cheeses.

Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.  Use 2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  If it is cold outside add a coal or 2 to the top of the oven.

The Finished Product



The Review

I officially love this pizza!  Most of my kids loved this pizza.  The younger ones were totally put off by the spinach, but I thought that was the best part (besides the bacon).  I didn't love the dough, however.  It was a little tough once it was cooked and when I'm making pizza I don't usually have time to let dough rise for 2 hours.  Next time I'll use my regular dough recipe and add Italian seasoning to it.  This is a recipe you really should try.  Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails