Thursday, April 15, 2010

Day 105: Gooey Apple Cake

Just a quick post, I'm running behind-again. The kids missed the bus, so now I have to drive them to school.

Gooey Apple Cake
10" dutch oven

8 Tbs. butter, divided
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
1 egg
1 cup flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
2 lg. tart apples, peeled and chopped (I used Granny Smith)
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Cream 5 Tbs. butter and 1 cup sugar. Add the egg and beat well. Stir in the flour, soda, cinnamon, salt and apples. Batter will be stiff. Spoon into your oiled DO and smooth the top. Bake at 350* for about 35 minutes, using 8 coals on the bottom and 12 on top.

Combine the remaining 3 Tbs. butter, 1/2 cup sugar, cornstarch and evaporated milk in an 8" DO (a 10" would work too). Bring to a boil over medium heat. I used 8-10 coals. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Pour over hot cake; serve warm. Serves 8-10.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was good. It wasn't cake with apples in it, it was apples with cake in it. Next time, I will add some ground cloves or maybe apple pie spice to the batter, just because I really like their flavor. I royally screwed up the frosting. I forgot to put the sugar in so it was really bitter and yucky. It improved greatly when I sprinkled sugar over the top. Some dulce de leche or caramel ice cream topping poured over the hot cake would be good as an icing and it would be easier. I will make this again. I liked all the chunks of apple and the cake was really moist. Grade: B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails