Friday, April 23, 2010

Day 113: Garlic Alfredo Chicken Pizza

It's finally Friday!  Yippee!!  This week end I only have 5 children at home, since the boys are at grandma's house.  This is gonna be a piece of cake.  I'm looking forward to a nice relaxing week end with absolutely nothing that I HAVE to do.
I've also been looking forward to trying this pizza recipe.  I love Papa Murphy's Garlic Chicken Pizza, but I am way to cheap to buy is as often as I want it.  Besides, that would really throw off my DO cooking.  The dough recipe is from Emeril on the Food Network and the sauce comes from a site called Tasty Sensations.  All the comments swear that the crust tastes just like Papa Murphy's, and its pretty close.  I cooked this on the lid of my dutch oven, just like the cookies that I made a few days ago.  It worked great!

Garlic Alfredo Chicken Pizza
12" dutch oven

Dough:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 tsp. sugar
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup vegetable shortening
3-4 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
In a mixing bowl, whisk the yeast, sugar, water and lard together to make a paste.  Add the flour and salt to the mix and blend until a soft dough forms.  Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about an hour.  Turn the dough onto a floured surface and divide dough in half.  roll the dough into balls, cover, and let the dough rest 15-20 minutes.  Makes 2 (12 inch) pizzas.

Garlic Alfredo Sauce:
2 Tbs. butter
2 Tbs. flour
1 cup half and half
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Melt the butter in a small DO (8 inch).  Stir in flour and garlic powder.  Slowly add cream.  Stir until thickened and bubbly.  Add salt and mix well.

Pizza toppings:
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1 cup chicken, cooked and shredded
2 green onions, chopped
1 tomato, seeded and chopped

Prepare pizza dough as directed.  Dust the lid of a 12" dutch oven with corn meal.  Place dough on lid.  Top each pizza with 1/2 cup of sauce.  Sprinkle with cheese, chicken, green onions, and tomatoes.  Bake at 500* for 8-10 minutes.  Use 24 coals on top and 13 on the bottom.  Be sure to preheat the bottom of the dutch oven.  Makes 2 12" pizzas.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was really good.  In fact, I loved it!  I think it needed just a bit more garlic, but other than that, it was great.  Next time, I'll mix a tablespoon or 2 of olive oil with some fresh minced garlic and lightly spread it over the crust before I put the toppings on.  I think that will add just the right amount.  Even my kids like this pizza, and that is saying something.  We all gave this an A-.

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the recipe!! will try it tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the "upside down" concept, but how do you get the pot off the lid?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al--I use some thick gloves, grab the part of the pot where the handle is attached, and lift very carefully. Holding it there will keep the handle in place so it doesn't flop around, and gives you somewhere to put your hands. I haven't spilled any coals yet--keep your fingers crossed for me. Tomorrow, I'll try to post a pic of how I lift it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you put the dough on the lid? Does it and the toppings go upside down?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anon--You place the dough on the lid of the dutch oven the same way you would put it on a pizza pan and then put the toppings on. You cook it with the entire dutch oven upside down (so the pot acts as the lid and the lid acts as the pot). It really helps to have an oven that has the short legs on the lid, but you can also rest the lid on 3 bricks placed around the very edges.

    If I'm still not making any sense (which wouldn't surprise me) shoot me and email and I'll send you a picture.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails