Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 97: Meatballs with Cream Sauce

Boy, does it feel good to sleep in. Spring break couldn't have come at a better time! I'm usually up at 5 am to start getting kids to the bus on time, so this is a nice change! Have I ever mentioned that I love meatballs? I don't know what it is about bite sized ball of meat with sauce or gravy that is so good. I probably have about a dozen recipes for them. This is one of my favorites. I found it in a Taste of Home magazine years ago.
Meatballs with Cream Sauce
14" dutch oven
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup milk
2 Tbs. ketchup
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup quick oats
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley (I used 2 Tbs. dried)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
1/4 cup flour
Cream Sauce:
2 Tbs. butter
3 1/2 Tbs. flour
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
14 oz. chicken broth
2-3 cup milk
2 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
In a bowl, combine all the meatball ingredients except the beef and flour. Add the beef and mix well. Shape into balls. Roll in flour, shaking off excess. Place in your DO and bake at 400* for 10 minutes. Turn meatballs and bake 8-10 minutes more or until no longer pink. I used 24 coals on top and 12 on the bottom.
For the sauce, use an 8" or 10" dutch oven, melt the butter and stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add the broth and milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes, until slightly thickened.
Drain the meatballs on paper towels; transfer to a serving dish. Top with sauce. Serve over rice or noodles.
The Finished Product

The Review
I loved these! Most meatballs have some sort of BBQ sauce on them, and I loved the light cream sauce. I also love that these are baked and not fried. I have baked all my meatballs for years, it is just so much easier than frying. They were tender and had great flavor. Even my 2 year old at 4 of them. These are always on our winter menus. These get a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails