Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 120: Carrot Casserole

Happy snowy Friday!  I know at some point spring has to get here.  Mother Nature is just taking her own sweet time!  So, I decided to bring spring to me in the form of my favorite spring veggie.  Now, its no secret that I love veggies, but of all the spring veggies, carrots and spinach are my faves.  I really didn't have super high hopes for this recipe, but it looked good, so we gave it a try.  We were very pleasantly surprised!

Carrot Casserole
12" dutch oven

8 cup sliced carrots
2 medium onions, thinly sliced
5 Tbs. butter, divided
1 can cream of celery soup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup seasoned croutons

In your DO, boil the carrots in water until crisp-tender.  Drain and set aside.  In the same pot, saute the onions in 3 Tbs. butter until tender.  Stir in the soup, salt, pepper and cheese. Add carrots to the onion mixture.  Sprinkle with croutons and drizzle with remaining butter.  Bake at 350*, using 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top, for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.  Serves 10-12.

The Finished Product

These were the leftovers that I ate when I got home last night.  They were still yummy!

The Review

I was really surprised at how much we liked these.  All of my kids ate them without complaint.  I cut the recipe in half, and it was plenty for my family, with no leftovers.  I will make these again.  They weren't overly saucy, and they had a really nice flavor.  We gave these a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails