Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 98: Chicken Stroganoff

You know it is a busy day when you finally sit down to dinner at 7:30. My kids were starving! I almost forgot to take a picture of this recipe. I adapted this recipe from one in a Taste of Home magazine. It is a great week night meal because it comes together pretty quickly.

Chicken Stroganoff
12" dutch oven

10 bacon strips
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1/4" strips
1 medium onion, chopped
2 (4 1/2 oz.) jars mushrooms, drained
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. paprika
pepper to taste
4 tbs. flour
1 cup sour cream
In your DO, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 Tbs. drippings, set bacon aside. In the drippings, cook chicken, onion, mushrooms and carrots until the chicken is no longer pink. Add the broth, garlic, salt, paprika, pepper and bacon. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Combine flour and sour cream until smooth; add to the DO. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Serve over noodles or rice. Serves 4-6. I used 22 coals for this one.

The Finished Product

The Review

This recipe didn't "wow" me, but it was a good week night meal. Everyone liked it, and there weren't any leftovers, so I would call it a success. The bacon (of course) was the best part. I didn't have enough sour cream so I ended up using some cream of chicken soup as a substitutefor part of the sour cream. My sauce also didn't thicken up very well, so I used some of the roux from my fridge to finish thickening it. I will make this one again. Since I usually have all the ingredients on hand, it may make an appearance on busy nights quite often. We all decided that this recipe gets a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails