Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day 100: Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf

Day 100! Wow! I think I'll give myself a pat on the back for sticking with this little project. 100 is always a celebrated day. The president's first 100 days in office, the 100th day of school, the 100th episode of a TV show. It should come with some kind of fanfare, but we will have to settle for one of my favorite recipes so far. I found this one in a church cookbook. I've said it before and I'll say it again, that is where the best recipes are found. Now, I don't know about you, but I am a raging carnivore! I love meat!!! Give me a thick grilled steak, chicken, meatballs, salmon and yes, meatloaf. The only meat I don't eat is pork. We have raised too many pigs and eaten too much pork. I have cooked it every way known to man, and I ain't cooking it no more! Maybe in a few years. I do make an exception for ham and sometimes pork tenderloin. But I'm getting off topic. Meatloaf, large loaves of meat...I love them! I do have to warn you, the picture of this is TERRIBLE. I think some of the steam fogged up my camera lens. So you will just have to take my word for how good this is.

Spinach and Cheese Stuffed Meatloaf
12" dutch oven

1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
3/4 cup bread crumbs
2 eggs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3 Tbs. grated Parmesan
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbs. ketchup
Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, salt, onion powder and pepper; mix well. On a length of waxed paper or aluminum foil, pat the meat mixture into a 10 x 12 rectangle. Mix together the spinach, 1/2 cup cheese, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic powder. Spread over the beef mixture to within 3/4" of the edges. Starting at the short end, roll the meat up as you would a jelly roll. Seal meat over the filling on the ends. Place roll, seam side down, in your DO. Bake at 350* for 1 hour. Spread ketchup over top of meatloaf and bake 15 minutes more. Remove from heat and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover and let the meatloaf stand for 10 minutes. Use 14 coals on top and 10 on the bottom. I also completely replaced the coals about 45 minutes into cooking. Serves 6-8.
The Finished Product
The Review
This is my new favorite meatloaf. I loved this. It is perfectly spiced and totally delicious. One of the best things about this meatloaf is that it is really pretty, but doesn't take any more time to make than a normal one. Even my crazy meatloaf hating kids ate this. That equals a major triumph. The only problem I had was that the top of the loaf split during baking. I'm not sure how to fix that so it doesn't happen again. I may not have pressed it together well enough when I pressed it out. Never the less, I will be making this often. Grade: A.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the 100 Days of Dutch Oven Cooking!

    I hope you enjoyed Spring Convention. I sure wish we could have made the trip.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails