Monday, April 5, 2010

Day 95: Chunky Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup

Wow! We are all trying to get over a major sugar hangover this morning! I ate way to much candy yesterday. I think I'm going to be sick today. All I want to eat is salads or veggies. If I never have candy again it will be too soon. At least for today. Easter was a great day! It is so fun to spend time with my family. We had the whole crew together at grandma's house. It was total chaos with 14 kids running around (half of them were my own). But we had a blast having egg hunts and blowing bubbles for the little ones.
We have had some crappy weather the last few days. Yesterday we woke up to 5" of snow. The only good thing about it is that it makes everyone want to eat soup. And I found an excellent recipe that will go into my tried and true file. I found this at Picky Palate.
Chunky Chicken Noodle and Vegetable Soup
12" dutch oven
3 Tbs. olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
5 stalks celery, chopped,
4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
1 cup sweet red peppers, chopped
1 zucchini chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 yellow squash, chopped into 1/2" pieces
1 1/2 cup eggplant, chopped into 1/2" pieces (I left this out)
5 cloves fresh garlic, minced
48 oz. chicken broth
9 oz. noodles
1 Tbs. coarse Dijon mustard
1 tsp. hot sauce
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
pinches of kosher salt, black pepper, garlic salt, and thyme
Place the oil in your DO over about 22 coals. When hot, add the onion, celery, carrots, sweet peppers, zucchini, yellow squash, and eggplant. Cook and stir until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the fresh garlic; mix in for 30 seconds then stir in the broth. Bring the soup just to a boil and stir in the noodles. Cook 7-10 minutes or until noodles are al dente. Stir in Dijon mustard, hot sauce, chicken, parsley and seasonings to taste. Reduce heat, I took off about 4 coals, and simmer until ready to serve. Serves 8-10.
The Finished Product
The Review
This is my new favorite chicken noodle soup. It is so good. The veggies and broth were so good. I can't say enough about it. Everyone loved it, which is rare around these parts. I can't wait to eat the leftovers for lunch. It was hearty and filling. We had it with cheesy bread, and it was a meal. As my new favorite soup, this gets an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails