Monday, April 26, 2010

Day 116: Emerald Rice

One of the hardest recipes for me to find are good side dishes.  I like them easy and delicious.  So many of them are one or the other.  After putting so much effort into a good entree, I want something simple on the side.  This recipe is had me in side dish heaven!  And its nutritious to boot!  I did the entire thing in my DO, so clean up was a snap.

Emerald Rice
10" dutch oven

1 1/4 cups long grain rice (about 3 cups cooked)
2 1/2 cups water
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. salt

In your DO, cook rice in water until tender.  Add remaining ingredients to the rice and mix well.  Bake at 350* for 25 minutes, or until heated through.  Use 12 coals on top and 8 on the bottom.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was way better than I thought it would be.  My pickiest eaters had seconds.  I'll have to double it next time.  It had such great flavor, I wish there were some leftovers.  It is fairly light too, no heavy sauce, and I love cooking with spinach.  When I was a kid, I thought Popeye was crazy.  Who knew he was actually a genius?  This will go into my tried and true file.  Grade A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails