Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 223: Curried Chicken Shepherd's Pie

Happy birthday to me!  Happy birthday to me! Happy birthday dear me, happy birthday to me!  Yep, its my special day.  I'm 39 today, 1 more year before I hit the first stage of being old.  I'm lucky enough to get to share my birthday with my daughter Brinlee who turns 8 today.  She was the best birthday present ever!  I get to spend today renewing my drivers license (since I've put off doing it for 3 months and now it expires today) and pulling apart my shower that is experiencing the effects of old age and has exploding pipes.  Is that what I get to look forward to?  Exploding pipes?  Yeah, not going to think about that today!

Since I was dealing with shower issues yesterday, I had to have a quick and easy dinner last night.  I've only used curry a couple of times.  I've stayed away from it because I thought it would be to spicy for my kids.  But au contraire, they love it.  I was intrigued by this shepherd's pie curry and a little bit nervous, but it got a good review, so I gave it a try. This is from a Taste of Home magazine.

Curried Chicken Shepherd's Pie
10" dutch oven

1 large onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 cup frozen peas and carrots
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon curry powder
1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup 2% milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
1/4 teaspoon paprika

In a 10" dutch oven, saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter until tender over a full spread of coals. Add frozen vegetables and remaining butter; cook 2 minutes longer.

Stir in flour and curry powder until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper.

Top with potatoes; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Use 1 1/2 rings of coals on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Yield: 4 servings.

The Finished Product
 
 
 
 
The Review
 
I was really surprised by how good this was.  My hubby, my pickiest eater, had 2 plates.  All my kids loved it and there were no leftovers.  That smells like a successful meal to me.  This would be a good camping meal because its really easy.  Its the perfect weeknight meal.  I'll be making this again.  Grade B+.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to you! I don't know to many people who share their bdays with there kids and I am one of them too! Awesome! Hope you have a nice day girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! So what did you buy yourself with your winnings? Jan

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails