Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Day 236: Zucchini Brownies

Good morning everyone!  I had some huge zucchini sitting on my counter that really needed to be used.  I happened across this recipe and I knew I had to try it.  It was my kids first day of school yesterday and I needed a treat for them to celebrate.  What could be better than healthy brownies?  How's that for an oxymoron?  How about healthier brownies.  These are still loaded with sugar and chocolate, but I like to think the zucchini cancels some of that out.  :)  I found this recipe here.

Zucchini Brownies
12" dutch oven

1 ½ C. sugar
½ C. oil
2 C. grated or puréed zucchini
2 t. vanilla
2 C. flour
1 t. salt
1 ½ t. baking soda
½ C. cocoa
½ C. pecans or walnuts

In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla. Mix well.  Add the flour, salt, soda, and coco. Mix well.  Pour into your greased dutch oven.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Allow to cool completely.  Frost with chocolate frosting (recipe below) and top with nuts.

CHOCOLATE FROSTING

1/2 C. butter; softened
1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 C. cocoa
1 t. vanilla
1/4 cup + milk

In a mixing bowl combine the butter, sugar and cocoa.  While mixing add the milk until the frosting reaches desired consistency.  If you accidentally add too much milk, add more sugar to compensate.

The Finished Product



The Review

I dare you to find the zucchini in these brownies!  My kids had no clue.  Talk about sneaky.  I have a couple of kids that won't touch zucchini with a 10 foot pole, and they loved these brownies.  They even packed them in their lunches this morning.  I have to keep this a secret, so don't tell!  I'm going to find some more ways to mix zucchini with chocolate.  I feel less guilty about eating 4 brownies since they're "healthy".  These get an A!

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails