Saturday, August 14, 2010

Day 225: Lemon Chicken Pasta

Over the course of this year, I've really learned what a difference fresh lemon juice makes in a recipe.  I was always to lazy to squeeze a lemon so I'd just use the bottled stuff.  I didn't know what I was missing out on.  These days, when lemons are on sale I buy a whole bunch, squeeze them and zest them and freeze them.  That way I have "fresh" lemon anytime!  I tell you all that because you really need the fresh lemon juice in this recipe.  It would be a complete waste of chicken to use the bottled stuff.  This recipe is too good, so use fresh juice.

Lemon Chicken Pasta
10" dutch oven

2 lemons, divided
4 chicken breasts
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 t. each Cajun seasoning (or seasoned salt), freshly ground black pepper, tarragon, basil, thyme, and rosemary
1/2 t. sage
16 oz. package pasta, cooked
1 clove garlic, minced
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. pepper

Place chicken breasts in your dutch oven; drizzle with 1 T. olive oil and juice from one lemon. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, black pepper, tarragon, basil, thyme, rosemary, and sage; pour over chicken breasts. Bake chicken at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.  Use 1 ring on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

Meanwhile, saute garlic in 1 T. olive oil for 1 minute. Add sugar, pepper, and juice from half of a lemon; mix. Add cooked pasta and toss to coat.

To serve, cut chicken breasts into thin strips and arrange over pasta. Garnish with slices from the remaining lemon half.  Serves 4.

The Finished Product




The Review

This is my new favorite lemon chicken recipe.  Seriously, it was amazing.  My kids loved it!  The Cajun seasoning gave it a nice kick that surprised me, and I loved all the herbs.  This was also super easy.  30 minutes start to finish.  Talk about an easy weeknight meal.  Its also nice enough for company!  Next time, the only change I'll make is to add a little more lemon to the chicken.  This will go into my "tried and true" file!  Grade A.

2 comments:

  1. This looks just wonderful and the flavors of lemon, herbs and chicken are the best. Your recipes are just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ya... this sounds so good :) In culinary school one of my instructors had a pathological hatred of the little squeeze bottles of lemon or lime juice :p So I got her a BIG bottle of the stuff AFTER my grades where turned in :p Real lemons and real limes make a HUGE difference as you found out :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails