Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Day 228: Easy Mexican Rice

I spent the last week getting my 3 oldest ready to go back to school.  After school clothes and fees my wallet is considerably lighter.  So the next week or so we will be having very simple, frugal meals.  But simple and frugal don't have to be boring.  Last night, for instance, we had Tex-Mex Haystacks.  They are tortilla chips topped with taco meat, re fried beans, cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream and so on.  They are super simple.  But to make them a little more hearty we added a layer of this rice.  At just pennies a serving its a great way to add texture and flavor.  I've also used it in tacos, burritos and enchiladas.  I got this off the Internet, but I can't remember where, so my apologies for not giving credit!

Easy Mexican Rice
10" dutch oven

1 cup rice
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 small can tomato sauce (about 1/2-3/4 cup)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cumin

Heat the oil over a full spread of coals and saute the rice until lightly browned.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil, remove a few coals, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender.  Serves 4.

Everyone was starving so I couldn't get a picture of this one!

The Review

I wouldn't make this recipe to use as a side dish.  I have much better Mexican Rice recipes.  However, it was perfect to use as another layer in this dish or in burritos and such.  It adds texture and flavor without being overpowering.  In that way, its a great recipe.  My family really liked adding the rice to the dish.  I'm going to give this one a B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails