Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 240: Buffalo Chicken Pizza

I've seen recipes for this pizza before, but I didn't have one when I made it, so I'm going to call it mine.  Before today I've never had Buffalo Chicken Pizza before.  I've never even had buffalo wings before.  Not because I haven't had the chance, but because I don't like eating wings.  There just isn't enough meat on them to make it worth the effort it takes to get it off.  My hubby thinks I'm nuts, and he may be right.  :) 

Buffalo Chicken Pizza
12" dutch oven

1 cup buffalo wing sauce, divided (I used Frank's)
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 Tbs. butter
1 tsp. oregano
2 green onions, sliced
blue cheese salad dressing
Pizza dough (recipe below)

Prepare the pizza dough and allow to rise while preparing the chicken.  In a 12" dutch oven, cook chicken, garlic salt, pepper and chili powder in butter until chicken is browned.  Add all but 3 Tbs. of the buffalo wing sauce and cook and stir until the chicken juices run clear, about 5 minutes.  Remove chicken from the pot and wipe the pot clean.
Press the pizza dough into the bottom of the greased dutch oven.  Bake at 400° for about 7 minutes.  Remove from heat and brush the dough with the remaining 3 Tbs. of buffalo wing sauce.  Combine the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and sprinkle 1/2 of the cheese over the crust.  Spoon the chicken over the cheese, sprinkle with oregano, remaining cheese and green onions.
Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until crust is golden and the cheese is melted.  Serve with blue cheese salad dressing.  Makes 1 12" pizza.

Pizza Dough

1 Tbs. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup scalded milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. melted butter
4 cups flour
1 Tbs. oil

Dissolve yeast in water. Scald milk and add salt, sugar, butter, and oil and cool.  Add yeast and flour a little at a time until dough is stiff.  Knead well.  Allow to rise.  Makes 2- 12" pizza crusts.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was smokin' hot!  I think we could have breathed fire at each other.  But it was really good.  I'm glad I made a cheese pizza for my little kids, because there is no way they could have eaten this.  I had smoke coming out my ears.  I like spicy foods, but this was a little to much even for me.  I think I'll try to find a milder sauce next time.  The blue cheese dressing really finished this off and added a great flavor.  I'll make a milder version of this one again.  Grade B+.

2 comments:

  1. If you use the blue cheese dressing or an alfredo as a sauce, it would tame it a lot. I want to do this, but I'll probably just coat the chicken with franks, and not the whole pizza.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy, thats a great idea! Next time I'll spread the crust with blue cheese dressing instead. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails