Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 227: Easy Dutch Oven Roast

I have a confession to make.  In the last 15 years I haven't cooked a roast anywhere but the crock pot.  I've been totally spoiled by roasts that are so tender you can't get them out of the slow cooker in one piece.  I was a little apprehensive about how a dutch oven roast would turn out.  Not that it wouldn't be good, just that it wouldn't be very tender.  I thought I'd try a recipe that a friend gave me a while back.  This roast makes its own gravy.  I also figured the soups in this one would keep it nice and moist.

Easy Dutch Oven Roast
10" dutch oven

2 lb. roast  (use a good cut of beef.  I used a sirloin tip roast)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 envelope brown gravy mix
salt and pepper

Place the roast in the dutch oven and lightly salt and pepper it.  Combine the remaining ingredients and pour over the roast.  Bake at 350° for 2 hours or until the roast is tender and cooked through.  Serve with mashed potatoes or bake with potatoes and carrots.

The Finished Product


The Review

This roast was good.  It was tender and juicy and the gravy was yummy.  I used a 4 lb. roast and cut it in half to help it cook faster.  I cooked mine for 3 1/2 hours and added carrots and potatoes during the last 1 1/2 hours of cooking.  Like I said, it was good but it didn't "wow" me.  It was just your average roast.  I must admit that I have finally found something that I would rather cook somewhere other than the dutch oven.  I know I could get a roast "fall apart tender" in the dutch oven, but it is just so much easier to do in the crock pot.  I can't believe I'm actually saying this, but I probably won't cook another beef roast in the dutch oven unless the power goes out or something.  I'm giving this a C+ because its not my preferred method to cook a roast.

1 comment:

  1. I know it isn't a carving type roast, but next time try a chuck roast. It has the "narbleing" to give you a moist fall apart texture. Dust with a flour,salt and pepper, then brown in DO on all sides in a couple Tbs of oil. Then use tour same ingredients. It is absolutely delicious and fall apart tender.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails