Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Day 235: Roasted Cauliflower

If  have to eat one more stinking casserole I think I'm going to barf!  I may go on a hunger strike too.  We've been so spoiled by what we've been eating.  Normally I can make it through the lean times without to much complaint, but right now, I've about had it with the food.  I'm actually enjoying making a menu and looking forward to going grocery shopping.  I must have a fever!  Can you tell I'm kind of on a food downer?  We're used to eating a variety of meals, so when we are stuck with one type of meal (read casseroles) for very long it gets boring and semi disgusting.  Thank goodness I get to go shopping in 2 more days!  But enough of my griping!

I  made this cauliflower to go with yet another (gross) casserole last night.  I won't subject you to the casserole, but you do get the cauliflower.  I found this in a stack of handwritten recipes I've had laying around.

Roasted Cauliflower
14" dutch oven

5-6 cups cauliflower florets, cut into bite sized pieces (I used two 1 lb. bags of frozen cauliflower)
1/4 cup olive oil
1 Tbs. sliced garlic
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbs. freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a large bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.  Add the cauliflower and stir well.  Pour into a 14" dutch oven and spread out into a single layer.  Bake at 500° for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Use 3 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese.  Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was just okay.  I could be good if it had more flavor.  There was a TON of garlic, and I never thought I'd say this, but it was to much.  If I make this again, I'll use less garlic, more salt and add some spices to give it more flavor.  We gave this a C.

4 comments:

  1. In Dick Stucki's book, Dutch Oven Entertaining.there is a very good recipe for "Cheese Frosted Cauliflower" pg. 75. It is very tasty. Pick up the book and you will find lots of good things in it. "Coconut-Macadamia Orange Roughy", "Creamed Shrimp and Artichokes", " Cajun Spiced Chicken" and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just read the article in AIRSTREAM Life. Found the listing for the blog and HAD to investigate. I have been reading for over two hours and haven't found one recipe that I would be glad to prepare in my DO's.
    Keep it up and what a great job.
    Ted

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ted! I just got word that the article finally came out! I'm glad you enjoy the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do something similar on the stove in a regular heavy pot, but we use less garlic and a lot more lemon (2-3 tablespoons, at least), and roast, turning occasionally, until the cauliflower starts to brown around the edges. It's addictive.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails