Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 231: Bobby Deen's Favorite Goulash

As you probably guessed, this is a Paula Deen recipe.  I love her recipes and I use them often.  I love that they are the ultimate in comfort foods.  Most of them are also simple and delicious!

Bobby Deen's Favorite Goulash
12" dutch oven

1/2 tablespoon Paula Deen’s House Seasoning (recipe below)
3 tablespoon soy sauce
3 bay leaves
2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
3 cups water
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large onion, chopped
2 lb lean ground beef
1/2 tablespoon Paula Deen’s Seasoned Salt
2 cup elbow macaroni, uncooked (I used rotini)
1 - cup frozen mixed veggies or frozen corn  (I used an entire 1 lb. bag and it wasn't to much)

In a Dutch oven over a full spread of coals, saute the ground beef until no pink remains. Break up the meat while sauteing. Spoon off any grease. Add the onions and garlic to the pot and saute until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water, along with the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, soy sauce, House Seasoning, and seasoned salt. Stir well. If adding mixed veggies or corn add them now. Place a lid on the pot and allow this to cook for 15 to 20 minutes. I put about 6 coals on top at this point.  Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 15 - 20 minutes. Remove from heat, remove the bay leaves, and allow the mixture to sit about 15 minutes more before serving. Serves an army-probably 10-12 adults.  You'll want to cut it in half for smaller groups!

Paula's House Seasoning:

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

The Finished Product
 
 
The Review
 
Growing up, my mom used to make goulash.  It was very simple and could be made in about 15 minutes.  I really didn't like it.  Mom's didn't have a lot of flavor.  So I was hesitant to try this recipe.  But I have to say, this is the best goulash I've ever had!  It was perfectly seasoned and totally delicious.  My 15 year old son, Colton,  was praying for leftovers so he could take it to school and have it for lunch.  My kids scarfed it down.  It did take a little while to make, but it was mostly cooking time, not prep time, so this is a great weeknight or camping meal.  Even my goulash hating hubby liked it.  I gave it an A, my hubby gave it a B, so we will meet in the middle and go with an A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails