Friday, August 27, 2010

Day 238: Camping Chicken Pot Pie

Whew!  I'm glad that today is over.  I hate having car problems.  I wish we could go back to the horse and buggy days, then when my horse gave me problems I could just shoot it.

I have a friend that is going camping for Labor Day weekend and wanted some help practicing DO cooking so she didn't mess up.  So we made this easy pot pie. 

Camping Chicken Pot Pie
10" dutch oven

2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrots
1 - med/large potato diced and cooked
1/2 cup frozen green peas
1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 1/2 Cups Biscuit Baking Mix (Bisquick or Jiffy)
1 cup milk
1/2 - Stick Melted Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In your dutch oven, layer the chicken, carrots, and peas. Mix the soup, chicken broth, thyme, rosemary and season with salt and pepper, if desired. Pour over the layers. Stir together the biscuit mix and milk, and pour this over the casserole. It will be very thin.  Drizzle butter over the topping. Bake until the topping is golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.

The Finished Product


Sorry, we forgot to take a pic of the inside of this one!

The Review

For a camping meal, we agreed it was pretty good.  For a make at home for dinner meal, not so much.  I think I lower my standards when I cook at camp because everything just tastes better outdoors.  So in my opinion, take this one camping.  The only way I'd make it at home is if I had absolutely nothing else to make.  For camping, we give this a B, for at home it gets a C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails